JOB VACANCY for
PART-TIME FLOATING DEPUTY MANAGER
for RSPCA Milton Keynes and North Bucks Branch
Posted 20th February 2024
RSPCA Milton Keynes & North Bucks is an independently registered charity, carrying out animal welfare work in Milton Keynes and surrounding villages. The objects of the Branch are to promote the work and objectives of the National RSPCA Society - to prevent cruelty, promote kindness and alleviate suffering of all animals by all lawful means.
Our charity shops are an important element of our fundraising, allowing us to continue our animal welfare work at a local level. This is an exciting, rare opportunity to join your local RSPCA Branch.
Job Title: RSPCA Deputy Shop Manager (Permanent)
Reports To: Shop Managers / Branch Manager
Responsible For: Volunteers
Days / Hours: a minimum of 2 days each week, varied days Monday to Saturday PLUS additional days as required to cover leave of other staff. 7.5 working hours per day, plus 30 minute lunch break
Hourly Rate: £10.42 per hour, rising to £11.44 in April 2024
Holidays: 28 days pro rata
This is a multi-store role, where flexibility is key. You will be required to work at any of our locations as required :
High Street, Newport Pagnell
Church Street, Stony Stratford
other areas of Milton Keynes/North Bucks - including potential new premises
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
To ensure the smooth day-to-day running of the shop you are working in that day, taking into account the Shop Manager's vision and any current campaigns. Maximising shop sales and achieving sales targets, whilst motivating the volunteer team. Understand and practice good customer service, whilst working to Branch and Society policies and promoting the work of the RSPCA. The role is hands on and fairly physical, with the handling of donated goods and restocking shelves.
Profits from the shop directly fund our work helping local animals so this is an outstanding opportunity for someone with empathy for the RSPCA's principles to make a real difference to animal welfare.
• Be responsible for opening and closing the shop at the agreed times, and ensuring opening hours are strictly adhered to.
• Ensure shop is fully manned during opening times, pulling in extra volunteers when required.
• Maximise shop sales by proactive stock generation and optimum pricing.
• Help manage stock rotation between all shops.
• Ensure minimum losses of stock and cash by following bank and till procedures. Safeguarding the property of the Branch at all times.
• Maintain high levels of merchandising and housekeeping.
• Successfully delegate tasks to volunteers according to their abilities.
• Encourage donors of goods to enrol on Gift Aid.
• Provide excellent customer care through quality of service, dealing with complaints both efficiently and effectively.
• Recognise and implement opportunities for additional income.
• Comply with current legislation; including Health & Safety and Data Protection.
• Aid the recruitment, support and retention of volunteers by providing the direction and motivation necessary to secure their competence and commitment. Encouraging them to have an active involvement in shop activities.
As a supporter of the RSPCA and the branch, you will have previous retail experience and be commercially minded with the ability to identify and exploit additonal income opportunities. Possessing a creative flair with an eye for detail, you will be highly selective and organised when sorting, pricing and presenting stock.
You will be customer facing, but also hands on with donation sorting, cleaning the shop and stock and the removal of rubbish. You will adhere to our dress codes, wearing clothes that enable you to engage in your role, sensible footwear is a must.
Skills and Aptitudes:
• Ability to multi-task and be hands-on.
• An understanding of retail operations.
• Excellent communicator.
• A passion for the work and willing to delegate or get stuck into tasks as required.
• Organised and a self-starter.
• Follow Branch objectives and that of each individual Shop Manager.
• A team player.
• Experience of managing a diverse team of volunteers.
Qualifications, Experience and Requirements:
• 2+ years’ experience of working in retail.
• A minimum of GCSE English and Maths.
• Full UK driving licence and own transport.
To apply please email your CV and a personal statement to the Branch Secretary: email@example.com
Application closing date : Saturday 2nd March 2024, end of day.